Mohammad SALMAN, Ph.D. International Relations, is currently researcher and honorary assistant at Department of Political Science, Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB). His research interests focus on the great powers’ politics under unipolarity, China-Middle East relations, China-U.S. relations, and the development of 'strategic hedging' as a new theory in International Relations. In recent years, his articles have appeared in international academic journals like Asian Politics & Policy, Chinese Political Science Review, and China Report. He is also a reviewer for several international academic journals such as International Political Science Review, Pacific Review, Third World Quarterly, and International Journal of Emerging Markets.
Currently he is a head of academic project 'Welcome Student-refugees Program' at VUB to help refugee students.
Mohammad Salman (a PhD researcher in Vrije Universiteit Brussel) has been in charge of supervising for bachelor students in writing their bachelor theses and supervising for master students in writing their MA thesis during academic years 2013,2014,2015,2016.
A full list of publications can be found here.
- GEERAERTS, Gustaaf & SALMAN, Mohammad (2016). Measuring Strategic Hedging Capability of Second-Tier States Under Unipolarity, Chinese Political Science Review, Vol. 1, No, (1): pp. 60-80.
- SALMAN, Mohammad, PIEPER, Moritz & GEERAERTS, Gustaaf (2015). Hedging in the Middle East and China-U.S. Competition, Asian Politics & Policy, Vol. 7, No, (4):pp. 575-596.
- SALMAN, Mohammad & GEERAERTS, Gustaaf (2015). Strategic Hedging and China's Economic Policy in the Middle East, China Report, Vol. 51, No, (2): pp. 102-120.
- SALMAN, Mohammad (2015). Strategic Hedging and Unipolarity's Demise: The Case of China's Strategic Hedging, paper presented at the Conference "Power: Back to the Future?", April 29, Catholic University of Louvain (UCL), Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium.
- SALMAN, Mohammad (2015). Strategic Hedging and Balancing Model under the Unipolarity, paper presented at Midwest Political Science Association (MPSA 2015), April 16-19, Chicago, USA.
- SALMAN, Mohammad (2014). Measuring Strategic Hedging, Paper presented at The American Political Science Association Annual Meeting, August 28-31, Washington D.C.
- SALMAN, Mohammad (2014). Measuring Strategic Hedging, The Social Science Research Network (SSRN-id2451552).
- SALMAN, Mohammad & ZAHID, Farhan (2014). Flawed Policies in Syria Crisis, Foreign Analysis N°5, Centre Français de Recherche sur le Renseignement.
- SALMAN, Mohammad, PIEPER, Moritz & GEERAERTS, Gustaaf (2014). Hedging in the Middle East and China-U.S. Competition, Paper presented at 8th China Goes Global Conference, August 19-21, Jiaotong University, Shanghai, China.
- ZAHID, Farhan & SALMAN, Mohammad (2014). The Tehrek-E-Taliban Pakistan in Syria, Foreign Analysis, N°1, Centre Français de Recherche sur le Renseignement
- ZAHID, Farhan & SALMAN, Mohammad (2014). The Chechen Component of Jaish Al Muhajurun Wal Ansar, Foreign Analysis N°7, Centre Français de Recherche sur le Renseignement.
- ZAHID, Farhan & SALMAN, Mohammad (2014). Reasons behind factional fighting in the Syrian civil war, Foreign Analysis N°4, Centre Français de Recherche sur le Renseignement.
- SALMAN, Mohammad & GEERAERTS, Gustaaf (2013). The Impact of Strategic Hedging on the Foreign Politics of Great Powers: The Case of Chinese Energy Strategy in the Middle East, Paper presented at 7th China Goes Global Conference, September 25-27, Jacobs University Bremen, Germany
- SALMAN, Mohammad & ZAHID, Farhan (2013). Turkey Faces Security Challenges and Political Dilemmas in the Syrian Conflict, The Jamestown Foundation/TM, Vol. 11, No. 22